Thursday, November 08, 2012

Morning warmup. Got a new scanner last night so happened to capture the pencil drawings before I inked it this morning. Usually the pencil marks just die their usual death, crumbed to the carpet. There will always be a life in the sketch that's lost in the inked version but there's also a solidity that's in the inks that's missing in the pencil. Ink is about decision. It's digital in its way; yes or no. Or is that binary. I guess what I like about ink is that there isn't any hiding, any going back. There it is, that line. I made that choice. Move on. It's also a mark of pride when I can make an inked drawing without smudges on it. This is one of those rare ones.
And then I went ahead and colored it in Illustrator.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

you have certainly been busy! I love seeing the sketch to completion. give a great indication of how much work you do to get such a clean look.

T' said...

Thanks! The 'clean' part is probably the quickest part. Once the inking is done, the Illustrator part takes maybe 20 minutes. The inking is the fun part. :"D