Friday, November 22, 2019

Haven't drawn anything in weeks. Bronchitis has made my energy levels low and I haven't really felt like making anything. I've been content to be a consumer, sitting and watching things or playing video games. I used to wonder if I even COULD become just a consumer instead of some kind of creator and the idea seemed impossible. Maybe it's not so impossible. Apathy can really grind you down over time. I have seen two operas recently, one I hadn't seen before (Madame Butterfly, via the Met) and one I had (Magic Flute via Bergman). It has made me think about "City Silent," making me realize that it needs to be restructured as the interaction between the main character and, say, ANYONE is kind of important. That being said, I haven't done anything about it at all. The other day, I did make some sketches including this page of Mickey Mouse which I did for reasons I can't fathom at all. Never really drawn him before and don't know why I did this time. I did then sketch Smatt, Terry and Digby whom I miss and I have been toying with the idea of working something out in clay, but so far, haven't moved on it. Maybe it's partially because the holiday season is upon us and I have really learned to hate this season, being in retail and all. Just want it to be over. All obligation, no rest.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Yeah! The holidays can be too full of obligations even without a retail job! I am going on two years without a break now... seems like there is always something i HAVE to do and the holidays are the worst for that. On the other hand you started drawing again and it makes me feel better, so hopefully it will make you feel better too. I am sort of getting to the point where if I share my stuff with you and a couple other people and we like what we are doing - that will be enough.

T' said...

I share my stuff online and with customers at work but I think I should try for a show. The galleries I talked with in Boston were not open to digital work as I don't think they really understand it and I didn't have my prints with me, just my phone. That being said, it might be that somewhere out here it would work, at least once. Guess there's no reason not to try.

Behemoth media said...

A show or two for you is a great idea. Digital works really hard to sell to "art" places. You and I have discussed why before, the "its not gone of kind piece" is a big barrier to those places. How art is being done is changing, though!I don't think there has a pen breakthrough digital artist in the mainstream yet that can break down some of the prejudices against it. There is an artist's co-operative gallery here in the village now but I haven't seen any digital print stuff there. I think in some ways all those speed painting you tube post do art a disservice, making it seem like something whipped up with no effort in 20 minutes. It's rare to see how much research and trail and error go into a piece.