Monday, November 20, 2023


 Went on vacation so didn't draw anything for a couple weeks. Did this when I got back. Just a simple sketch but it was fun to do and I should at least ink it. We'll see. Also got some great feedback on the comic from a VERY high end source, Scott McCloud, who's been a friend for over 30 years but whom I haven't really sought out much before as I felt I would be imposing. Turns out I wasn't and though his critique was harsh, it was good and contained stuff I really need to consider. I WILL be going back and redrawing a bunch of stuff from the first half, but not now. I will instead use what he told me to move ahead.

I also saw an actual, honest-to-goodness opera while I was in L.A., "The Barber of Seville" at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, once home to the Oscars between '69 and '94. Great experience and I think, because of that, I really 'get' opera now. And I wasn't far off. Anyway, it's all progress.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

You are someone who appreciates good advice and other points of view so i bet scott had some interesting ideas for you. My time away might not involve too much drawing but i plan in lots of photography and writing while i will have some well needed solitude. I hope you are rejuvenated by your trip, the new sketch makes me think you were!

T' said...

Scott did have some very interesting observations, some which I should have had myself. But learning is a constant thing. And that's good. I hope you get lots written and photographed!

Behemoth media said...

Should have, or just didn't think of because you thought of something else first? That s why having more than one set of eyes on a project can be so important!