Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The top is a drawing done today referencing an older painting, pictured below it. Just trying on an old composition for size. I watched two art documentaries today which made me want to make -something-. The first was, "Tim's Vermeer," which was wonderful. The gist is that an inventor, Tim Jenison, decided that he'd see if he could replicate a known Vermeer using optics and a technique that was possible for the time. Without giving anything away, he was successful though it was anything but quick and easy. Well worth watching. The second was HBO's, "Remembering the Artist," which was about Robert De Niro Sr. and his work. It was ok, more a memory than anything specifically about process or technique. Seems De Niro was a contemporary and connected to the group of New York Artists of the 40s and 50s, most of whom I like. Since he didn't want to hang out with them, his work was marginalized and mostly forgotten. Still, good to see some work I hadn't before.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

first thing I noticed was how the one and feeling of each is pretty much the same despite a radical change in style and look.

T' said...

I tried very hard to only change the style when drawing the new one. There wasn't a great deal I had to push. The reference for this was from a Japanese fashion magazine and there was no martini glass or blue cat. :"D