Saturday, February 21, 2015

While working on the story aspects of the comic, I decided to up the ante on the background style for it as well. What little backgrounds there were in the first 30 pages really weren't up to snuff. They were kind of style-less and lacking in detail. While there doesn't have to be tons and tons of detail in every panel, and in fact I'm thinking seriously of keeping it very minimal in close ups and two shots, there really should be a goodly amount for establishing and pulled back shots. So I worked on this for awhile today. Shingling the roof was a pain and likely more work than I really needed to do. I also think this is too fussy and the timbers and such need to be thicker. Still, this is more like what I think is needed for the comic.

5 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I like how random tiles are missing. gives it a more natural look very organic.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. Still working on the design. It's too literal still. The tree is better designed, but that's what this is all for, right? :"D

Behemoth media said...

Looks great to me, but you know what is in your head better than anyone else! Would you think of adding effects... like a fog layer or something to a shot like this for mood? just a thought and it would have dot be in context of course.

T' said...

Thanks. I would consider all sorts of things. There's this book I bought awhile back I'm just getting into which goes over a LOT about the use of color and such in cartoons. It applies greatly to what I'm doing. In the case about, I was more working out the style of depiction than anything else. As it stands, it's a pretty dull image.

Behemoth media said...

it's funny how often i go back to "rendering in pen and ink" for inspiration and gentle reminders of how to accomplish what I want in my ink drawings. A good book can go along way!