Thursday, April 02, 2015

Finally got back to these guys. There's only a couple more pages to do. As should be obvious, this is another little comic about nothing at all. I think it's sort of a theme about comics I do set in the present day. Anyway, included the pencils for these, which I really enjoyed drawing. There's something about the physical act of drawing that really just gets to me. These guys have been very freeing in some ways. Scott McCloud (McLeod) saw these recently as we had dinner after a talk he gave and he said one of the things he liked most about the pages was the small areas of blank space in the compositions. I'll take that as a good thing. I don't think they were purposefully left in or decided upon but I'm not going to go back and fix them either. I think these look better with the contrast turned up a bit higher than they are here. Maybe I'll go back and do that. For now, two more pages.

Also, it might be noted that the finals are somewhat different than the pencils. Illustrator has become more and more like an inking stage for me; final decisions have always been done here, but now I have no problem taking elements and resizing them or moving things around. That's a major benefit of the tool, right? Composition always seems to be done up til the end, though now at least I'm drawing the characters together and not on separate pieces of paper.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

such good stuff! drawing the characters to gather is probably key to making the interactions look natural. Eyeliner and everything are so important and harder to do if they aren't both on the same page I think. I am stopping my drawing for alit to concentrate on animation again for awhile... as that is what might pay some bills and i have along way to go with some aspects of that.

T' said...

I owe you a few comments on your blog; I've been busy with work and the comic. So you got another animation gig? I hope it's not as stressful as the last one. Thanks again for stopping by.

Behemoth media said...

you don't owe me anything my friend! I have more of an animation assignment... 2d animation of some medical stuff.. like convincing people to vaccinate ( how did that become something you needed to convince people to do?) for a doctor at Mgill university. i am not sure if it will pay little or nothing right nw but I wanted to help out and get a foot in the door. Its much more up your alley arteries... I have to draw a character for animating so I am basically copying what they have already done and make replacement part, mad yes, sad eyes, basic body poses to string together in very primitive ( 1-3 frames for a movement) animations . I am also rendering my opening credit sequence for my lovecraft animation right now, 30 seconds and it will be done in about 27 hours of rendering.