Wednesday, July 11, 2018

City Silent page 50. I guess this is a milestone? It's the most pages of any comic I've done since Tamino, excluding "Biograph," which really doesn't count. This is only the end of the third song and there are 24 more to go. Progress has to step up if possible, though this was one of those more complex scene-setting pages and it's been hanging over me for a bit. That being said, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The inking of the background was problematic. My eyesight just isn't up to it any more and I'm going to have to look into one of those magnifying light things. It's depressing, but if it means I can keep going, it's worth it. Otherwise, lots of work with the iPad. Procreate has become my favorite art tool. Funny, Affinity Photo has been out for the iPad for over a year and I never considered it. I think it's too much for what I need. This song has one or two more pages to do and then I can move on, but this is an important moment in the comic as it's the scene from whence the title comes. Silas has had a vision to paint a falling star and the spirit of the city landing. That's about to be exactly what happens. That's his muse. It's departing the scene. Well, it's important to ME anyway.

I recently went through the PDF of the second song, the last one I released and I was pretty pleased with it. Though it's even less successful with an audience than Ghiroy at times, and that's saying a lot, I think I achieve actual beauty here and there. That's what keeps me going. I wish there were more people who actually read it and saw something in it. I really do. But in quiet moments by myself, for tiny fractures of time, it makes me happy.

No comments: