Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Learning to draw like myself. Been trying my favorite pastime again; re-designing Ghiroy characters. This year, I really want to try and make a go at SOMEthing I do. I turned 55. That seems pretty damned late to leave things if I really want to accomplish anything artistic. Ghiroy seems my most likely candidate for any kind of commercial presence. D&D is big right now, bigger than it's ever been. Strike while the iron is hot. Thing is, because of all the styles, I find I don't really know what my style is. I try and adapt, playing with styles that are more iconic and lend themselves more towards toys and cartoons. But are they really mine? So I sketch and sketch and honestly get nowhere. I LIKE a lot of the designs I've done but I have to stick with ONE and try and make it work. I've seen a lot of other people make do with less. Perhaps one of the reasons Ghiroy hasn't gone further is that I keep re-treading old water. I have to, this year, promise, pick a damned style and stick with it no matter what. If the comic doesn't succeed, I'm no worse off than I was.

No comments: