I couldn't leave this one alone. The head was just not right. So I went back for a third (fourth?) time. For this approach, I just painted. No sketch, no under-drawing, just (digital) paint. It's been in my head for awhile that I might just want to pull out the acrylics again. But there's so much involved in actually PAINTING that I knew I'd never get around to it. So I held my Apple Pencil from the back, as far as I dared and just went at it. Observation and determination. The end result is a hell of a lot better than that last but still not perfect. I think it's as close as I can get at this point while retaining some of that 'visual ambiguity' (sorry, been reading and watching too much about the art world lately).
If I were to print this out, it would be big; 30x40 or so. I think the face shows some of the work and feels more solid than the rest of this. But that's how I saw this young man on the subway. The rest of him didn't really come into focus until I look at the photo. So. I'm calling this done and can now move on. I don't regret the time I spent on this or the different versions necessary. I need to break out of myself to keep growing. I hope this represents a step.
Forgot to mention that I'd watched a couple of documentaries on James McNeil Whistler. I experimented with a palette made from one of his paintings. I think his work is worth more study. Don't know why I haven't looked into him more before.
3 comments:
134 years in the future they will find 314 versions of this guy and have wild speculation what your relationship was to him, and wonder what "Procreate" had to do with drawing.
And they'll all be wrong.
TBH. I think speculation like that is often wrong. But it will still probably be on the plaque under the statue of you as one of Harvard Square's great heros! Hey managing the Picnic all that time you deserve some sort of acclaim!
Post a Comment