Friday, October 09, 2015

Posted this yesterday in various places and got way more response than I thought I would. Friends who read the page came out and wrote really nice, lengthy responses to me, letting me know that they like my work, that there's belief in me and generally nice things of the sort. It was warm, welcome and somewhat embarrassing. I say the latter because I want Biography to be truthful, sincere. On the other hand, I don't want it to be seen as some kind of pleading for attention. I don't know. Maybe I'm so unused to reactions to my work that I've forgotten how to react to it. I get all squirmy and somewhat weirded out, trying to shift attention away from me and back towards something else. On the other hand, I do want to talk about this kind of thing, about the loneliness, the bad feelings regarding my work's lack of acceptance. It's a hard balance I don't really know how to address.

I've found that I've been learning to settle a lot; expecting that things won't go over well, learning to face the oncoming silence whenever I post work or eventually when I post Ghiroy. I've already decided that the comic's only going to be for me, that I'm not shooting for any kind of readership. Perhaps it's a way of keeping me from being disappointed or maybe it's me trying to be realistic and as such not be so disappointed any more. Strange that this particular page got people to read it for some reason, even though I obscured some of the words, tilted them and kept them behind little windows cut out of the comic covers.

This is the first page of Biography that isn't in the hardcover book I made. I hope I keep doing it. I just hope it's a little more interesting and less whiney as things go on. I think it's important to do, though I don't know why I think this, but I don't want it to just be one big complaint, either. I was wondering if I should just retitle the comic "Adrift" and be done with it. Or something. Or not.

No comments: