Thursday, December 31, 2015

Well, this is the end of the year and the last post in this blog for 2015. This was not my most prolific year and in a way I failed it; I like to try and make more posts every year. This one didn't make it. The first image I have here is a sort of overview, one I posted on my tumblr that has a selected image for each month of the year. There's a lot of the mice and Ghiroy in there as that's what I focused on most. On the down side, I didn't start Ghiroy, though I did a LOT of work on it. On the plus side, I did start and finish a short comic of which I'm proud. I progressed, and that's the whole point. So next year, I'll shoot for more posts, more art and more improvement.

The second image is a preliminary drawing for a portrait of artist Alex Katz. I've been reading a book I got for Xmas about Chuck Close, one of my favorite artists, and I got nudged back into portraiture for the moment. It won't last, never does. I enjoy the problem solving in making portraits. Close is so dogged and so detailed in what he does. I really appreciate the work he does though I don't know that I could ever get that into a piece myself. He takes months. My best paintings have been completed in under an hour. This is not to say that I'm anywhere near his league. I'm not even in the same artistic country as he is. It's always hard to look at others' work and think about how I -don't- do things their way, or can't do what they can do, etc. It's something I've been trying to wean myself off. It's not easy.

This particular portrait is very much like the style I've been using in the past, though I'm going to see if I can't combine even more two of the things I love most; ink and paint. I think that's where one of my untapped strengths might be. While I've pretty much decided I'm a cartoonist, I'm one with Fine Art aspirations. I'm not the first one, and certainly not the most successful, but if I can better combine my interests instead of keeping them separate, perhaps I can grow a bit as well as make something a bit more worthwhile.

In any case, for the few (one) who read this blog, happy new year (Vince!). I wish the best for you all.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I would day you had very good year! You got a comic completely done, plus did a lot of other work done on top of that! And you starred in a movie! I used to combine ink with watercolours but never went anywhere with it. That is something I should try and work on this coming year. I would like to start taking ore photos again this year, maybe even of people... just need to find a few willing subjects. I have an idea for a disturbing set of photos which usually means I will obsess about ti them until I do them.

T' said...

I got some things done, just not necessarily as much as I'd like. Regardless, you've done some good work, given ME something to do (being in the movie and doing the voice over for your other movie) and you've has some jobs. And we got to reconnect after a long time! So for that, it's been a good year. And thanks for continuing to read and comment. I really appreciate it.

Behemoth media said...

Well we never get it all done, do we? I guess that's why we keep going. I have to say having you come visit was a big highlight of the year for me. It was so fun to see hang out after so many years and to make it even better we worked together on my project. I hope we can continue to see each other and work on stuff, it's definitely better to have at least one other person who supports what you are doing!