Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Two things; first off, this month marks the tenth anniversary of my blog here. I have no idea how much longer I'll keep doing it, though I have no plans to stop. The internet has changed so much in that time and blogs are pretty much passè which I think is a damned shame. Everyone's moved on to things that last less time and which require more and more content produced with less and less care. Must mean I'm old. Still, I'm pretty happy with the fact that I have a decade of work here, and a record of how it was made and evidence of my progress. If no one else reads it (hi, Vince!), I will.

Then there's the image above. It's a new version of the Border cafe image. After the one of the comic shop, I realized that the reason the old one was stalled was that it was just too dependent on technology and trickery to make it work. Since the Tokyo image was all Illustrator, I thought this one had to be, too. Thing is, the Border, like the comic shop, has a kind of shabbiness that's must harder to achieve without lines. So I redrew it and changed the characters out. And I'm much happier. Progress has been much faster and I think it will make a decent print when done. So far, I have the characters and background inked separately, put together in AI and I've started coloring the African Wild Dog part. Didn't really think about the species per se, but what we have is a predator/prey situation here which, I think could have a lot of connotations impressed upon it. And that's fine. Today's political and social climate could be said to be reflected in something like this and I won't deny that there could have been some influence on me. Or it's just a furry drawing of a wild dog and an antelope in a Tex/Mex restaurant in Cambridge.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I do like this one better, the antelope looks really engaged in the conversation and the setting does look more natural. I go back and forth on my blog as well and even my website, though I use both for work I am not sure the effort really gets me anywhere. The website at least my demo reels short films etc.

T' said...

Thanks. I was looking through the earliest posts here last night and forgot that I once actually had followers (besides you). One or two of them were even animation industry folk. There's no real point to this blog except as a record for me. I don't expect anyone to read what's here, but at least I can go back and see where my head was at any given time.

Behemoth media said...

If blogger had a way to put your blog on a category, like Flickr does with photos our blogs might be easier to find. Or it we promoted them ourselves... LOL
I know I for one don't do anything to get it any notice.