Monday, July 25, 2016

While I might do some final tweaks with this one, I think it's pretty much done. Made a lot of editorial decisions since the last version, not least of which was to cool down and darken the background considerably, warm up the foreground and tone down the color in the condiments at front. The photo I took at the Border, which was strangely empty, something that rarely happens there, is at top. The inked images I used for characters and background are next. I do them separately because it leaves me options for editing later on. I made a grid over the photo in AI, made another grid on paper and freehand drew it which helps things stay a little wonky. Wish I'd done this for the Tokyo print but live and learn. While that one was twice as hard to do as this one, it had more to do with my bungling of my own workflow. So this will be another in the 'print series,' which is just me doing some more detailed stuff to possibly sell later on. I like the big prints and once you have something done in giclee, it's kind of addictive. Not sure what the next one will be but I might go looking through some of my Europe photos and try to come up with something. There's lots of stuff, especially in Italy with tons of small details to obsess over.

5 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Yes! obsess over detail! Details! :)
this looks really good and I love some of the more subtle stuff like the ceiling. The photo shows how close this is to the real place yet giving it's own space. I think it brings in the feeling of that place without slavishly copying every single aspect... all the essentials are there.

T' said...

Obsess! Obsess! :"D Thanks, Vince. Man, I say that a lot! Being slavish for this one would have meant a LOT of gradients and transparencies and really, I think, would have made a mess of it. Some of the charm of the place is lost, sure, but it's about the whole thing, not just the background. Snuck Tamino in there and a VERY vague reference to Fite. Heh heh.

Behemoth media said...

Tamino I noticed.. Fite is completely eluding me!

T' said...

It's REALLY tiny. The picture frame on the back wall, between the two characters has the gibberish 'word' that, in Lucco-speak means 'Fite.' That one's just for me. :"D

Behemoth media said...

That is obscure! But now the entire internet knows the secret!