Thursday, October 26, 2017

Haven't done one of these in awhile. Biography is hard because I often want to say so much more than can fit in the one page, but if I don't keep it quick, brief, I won't actually DO the comic. That being said, Murakami is a troubling figure for me. He goes along in the tradition, since Warhol, of artist as more director than anything else. The top artists of the day, him, Koonz, and Hirst all do it this way. With sculpture, I can understand it as pretty much no sculptor cast their own work. It's a very specialized field. That being said, they DID actually make the thing that was being molded or produced. These days, the top tier folks make sketches and hand things off entirely to others. Murakami, especially works with trappings of Japanese and other countries' pop culture. To be fair, there's a lot of commentary that's not so obvious to western eyes, especially on the role of atomic power in Japan's history. In a way, it's not unlike Godzilla, or at least the original film. What seems to be almost kiddie fare on the surface has more to say below it. Or does it? And again, how much of the final product, because it IS a product was actually made by Murakami? Approval is not the same as actual decision in the art making process. Is this how art is to be made from now on, appreciated or am I just a stick in the mud when it comes to stuff like this? I prefer to see a single person's thoughts on a given subject. It's that sincerity I crave. And for an art world that gets SO uptight when they find out that the painting they touted as being 'genuine' is in fact a forgery, I'm surprised that this kind of turnabout is not only accepted but even promoted. So, like Warhol before him, I'm still struggling with what I think about all this. I guess Biography is more like a book mark on thoughts and feelings I had at the time; it's not meant to be the full thought itself, it's just to remind me what was going on.

3 comments:

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

This guys relation to art sounds like the relation to HASBRO to games. The hasbro name is on it and it might mean a certain type of game, with a certain look or quality or age range... so it's like a band name I'm saying. I think Warhol was the same, a brand name used to sell art as a product that may or may not have any relation to the name on it. I like some of the images for sure but I really don't like that people who did the work aren't really credited.

T' said...

I can definitely see your point. Hasbro isn't trying to make a statement, they're just trying to make money. While I think that money is part of the point in all these artists' careers, I wonder how much of it is their entire point. Murakami comes across in interviews as if he's really trying to say something. Koonz and First I don't know. Murakami actually does allow some credit to those that toil in his 'factory. And I can't say that what's made isn't art, because it is. But what do these kinds of things say about art in general? Is one worth more than the other simply because of the number of hands that brought it about? I don't know. Some of my thinking is prejudicial. And, really, it's all subjective.

Behemoth media said...

i make TV and films which are (usually) very collaborative so maybe that's how they think about it. Warhol definitely tried to take all the credit, this guy seems a little more reasonable. Maybe if we actually made money we would be more open to this sort of thing! LOL