Thursday, June 11, 2020

So there's this. I've been listening to a lot of music lately, lamenting the fact that I didn't pursue music instead of art. Music touches me in ways that art never has. Music makes me FEEL something, like I want to be a part of it, want to sing, play or something. I think it's the most powerful form of art simply for the way that it has the ability to grab people and bring them together. Visual arts, where I've spent my creative 'career' interests me deeply, too, gets my fire going. Not as much as music does. And that brings us to this. I stopped being a cartoonist partially as that boulder seemed far too heavy for so steep a hill. I'd done comics, had middling response. So to keep pushing on a project I knew was going to take me years to finish and would get no response til it was done just seemed insurmountable. But "City Silent" is based on music. There are songs, even if there are no melodies to go with them. And I would dearly love there to be melodies. That frustration, that inability to express is at the core of what this comic is about and, even more specifically, what this song is about. That's probably one of the reasons I got stuck on these pages so long ago and stopped. I'm writing and drawing about writer's block, a lack of inspiration. I shouldn't be surprised. So watching some videos, hearing music through others' ears poked at me and, in a couple of days, I did this. I have no idea if I'll be able to continue in any way with this. For now, pages.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

This was a really nice surprise! You would never know there was so much time between these and previous pages.
I would love to be able to sing, but I can barely talk and I always wanted to play the violin, even if I could only play a few things but at this point I doubt I'll be able to learn that. You might be able to learn piano or guitar or something, take classes if you haven't tried that already! Just reading music is always a mystery to me.

T' said...

I did try to reference the previous pages as much as I could. I've already had style slides in the comic and if I'm going to finish it, I really need to be aware of those. As for the music...it's just not the time. I've never been able to read music. I know where "C" is. That's all.

Behemoth media said...

If you know where C is, you know one more thing than I do! Nautilus just saw the vet for the 1st time. He will need more vaccines next month and through the summer. He also needs to eat less and sleep a little more. I take him all over. I'll need to carry him more.