Saturday, May 30, 2020

My current project is a book. Awhile back, I decided I wanted to do a book of my work. I'd really like to do a giant, all-encompassing catalog of all the stuff I've ever done but that seems Herculean as a task and pointless from an audience standpoint. That being said, I have a lot more portrait work than I thought I did. I doubt there's really an audience for this, either but as I don't know that I'll ever have work in a gallery, collection or, most unlikely, a museum, I'd like there to be SOME record of what I did and why I did it. Every time I feel like my work has really reached a point of relevance, I then see or hear something that makes me think I'm just a rank amateur who makes junk like so many other tens of thousands of would-be artists. Putting it in a book, things chosen, chaff expunged, feels like a step in the right direction. I only worry that people will see this as egotistical or me trying to put myself above my station. Whatever. I like my work. If no one else looks at it, that's fine. I could die tomorrow and be happy that I made these things. This is just the first page of one of the chapters. I try and break the work down into separate pieces: Shin Hanga, Cutouts, Self portraits (there are a LOT of these), the Selfie Project, my one and only show, and pretty much everything else. Right now, there are 168 pages which is a lot more than I thought there'd be. An my passion for portraiture is only growing.

When done, I'll put this up on my Gumroad shop for free. Anyone that wants it can download it. In that way, my work will be out there a little. And, if I ever get the guts to try and do another show, I'll have something to hand out or email to prospective galleries to show what there is, what I've been doing.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I am a million % behind you in this project! Take you time setting it up... I did some project of my photos when we could first start to self publish with Apple Books and in the end I hated the final product because we used templates over my own designs. I would love to do a book of my acrobats stuff and maybe some photo books on different subjects. Do it!

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. The design will be very simple because I am not a layout artist. One image per page except for a few instances where there is an alternate version or something special. Might do a section of sketches and really old stuff. It's probably not far from done. We'll see. :D

Behemoth media said...

Good design is simple if you ask me. You have done really well designing stuff in the past so I'm sure it will be really nice. I have some little Nautilus creature helping me type this.