Monday, May 04, 2020

Tonight's little mess. It started with a photo of artist Roy Lichtenstein. I could go on and on about what I think about his work, how I think he spent most of his career basically making fan art of other people's stuff, how re-interpreting other people's creativity is creative and derivative at the same time and how he DID have a few good ideas in there somewhere, not leaving out that Pop Art kind of ruined art for art's sake but I'll just leave that stuff aside. I liked the photo and decided to try and do a portrait more or less in the style of the one I just did of me. It's hard, sometimes to push far enough. The first version went WAY too far into the kitchy, cheap-effecty side of things. The drawing was too literal, too and while it looks like the subject, it's not really very interesting. So there's a pencil sketch, the inked version from Procreate and then the over done first version. Sometimes I need to draw things more than once.

The second version I tried to be more bold, more like -me- whatever that means. While distorted, I left it that way and actually distorted the inked version a bit more. The bottom one is the final, the one I liked best and posted. Couldn't keep to primary colors as they just didn't work with him yellow. That being said, I think it works though, again, works better much larger.

No comments: