Tuesday, May 12, 2020

While it might not look it on first glance, this was a big experiment. I took a photo, notched the placement of all the major details then warped the crap out of that exceedingly basic sketch to see if the likeness would hold. And it did. Sure, I could have just caricatured it, but that's not really the same thing. Once I'd warped the placement, I drew the details, inked it and proceeded as normal. I'm pretty happy with it. My partner doesn't like the washed out colors, but I'm still thinking in a woodblock print kind of way. Perhaps I should play with that next.

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

That is a good likeness! The colours look fine to me, the lightness doesn't stand out as being out of place to my eyes.
I was thinking of trying to do scratchboard type images digitally. I used to to them quite a bit in high school and now and again later on. I have drawn white on black in newer stuff but only in small sections of something, never as the sole technique. I could just reverse the image colours I suppose but I think you look and produce a very different image when you drawn white on black instead of the normal way.