Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Tonight's portrait is Egon Schiele. He's an interesting guy with some interesting art. Died far too young. Started out with a photo ref. Did a pencil sketch, scanned that, brought it to the iPad, inked it, sent it to the Mac, vectorized it and did the final colors in Affinity Designer. That's pretty much my process these days though it's kind of been that way for a long time. Fite, my first full-length comic was done this way and I started that 15 years ago. It's only the inking that's changed. I might try and hand-ink one of these just to do it, but I'd miss that really nice, textured brush on the iPad. It feels like a brush that's been kind of mistreated and that's hard to replicate without messing up brushes. For now, I'll stick with this. I wonder if anyone would pay for something like this...

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

These are somewhere between portraiture and characature in some ways. You could "monetize" the style I'm sure but that might mean doing images of trump, Justin Briber, as well as Warhol and other artists people might know. Or try and keep it to just who you want to draw and maybe compile them into a book, ideally with bios or something for each drawing... would people give up their toilette paper money for it? Who knows? People love their toilette paper in an unhealthy way these days. Maybe t-shirts.... the big problem is getting enough people to know about it to reach the few that actually buy things.