Monday, May 17, 2021







 Character design time. I've been thinking of getting back into some journal comics as it's been a long while. I enjoyed doing Biograph even if it felt like whining sometimes. The top version was the hardest to do as I really wanted to put lines in in top of the watercolors. I actually did but forced myself to turn that layer off at the last moment to try and push the concept. I think it has a kind of Japanese feeling to it. It's a little harder to do as the watercolor brushes require that you don't lift off the screen until you're done making the shape, or you end up with overlaps. Still, they all have their "charm."

6 comments:

Behemoth media said...

The top two look like they could be from a children's book. It has real water colour look without the ink lines! May fave to the one with one eye open and the other partly closed. Great expression and again, the watercolour is really nice and gives it a softness I think works. The bio stuff gets things off your chest and lets you press stuff in an unique way so if you have the urge to do that again, I say do it!

T' said...

Got some comments on other social media and they liked the one you picked as well, which is pretty much how I draw. So there you go. I really like these watercolor brushes even though it's a medium I never did well with. I keep using it too stiffly and need to loosen up. We'll see how it goes. I've been neglecting City Silent. The mind wanders...

Behemoth media said...

I used to water colour but almost always by painting over my ink work. I liked what I did but I was never able to get a pure painted landscape across right. Digital is making me think that maybe I can... after I get fish off my mind.

T' said...

Watercolor is a really hard medium. It's not really my thing. I'm too fussy. Digital WC is a different thing as you can erase it to your heart's content. I'm still too tight with it, but I'm trying.

Behemoth media said...

It looks like you are painting on a textures background, is that jsut the watercolour brushes? I am no expert in procreate still but I guessed that look comes from the brush and not a background layer.

T' said...

No texture, just the brush. When you press down harder, you get a darker area that has a lot of texture to it. Pressure means a lot with this brush and it's a little tricky to use. But I like it.