Sunday, September 18, 2022


 I got further with this than I thought I would. I think it's done. The head was done separately, then the body and I managed to get them shoved together pretty well. I didn't end up referencing Lawrence as much as I thought I would. The colors aren't even close and I had to lose the hat in my hand as it looked like...well, it could be mistaken for something else. I redrew the hand twice to get it not to stand out. There are more layers in this than just about anything except the REALLY complex image I did a few years ago in an alley in Japan. That was nuts. This was probably in the 20s somewhere. I'm pretty happy with it. I might wish I wasn't glowering so much, but that's my 'posing' face. The ones with me smiling looked goofy so I didn't use them. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think it's the kind of thing I could have done a year ago which means I'm learning something. Really should get back to the comic.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Well I didn’t want to say anything about the hat in the sketch because I thought it was just me being al little pervy. That said, this is maybe one of my favourite portraits you have done! You can see the influence of the reference in the pose and tone of the colours, it feels like the original without being a copy of it. What an expression!

T' said...

Oops, again, sorry that I missed this! Thanks so much.