Sunday, June 23, 2013

This is TOTALLY just some fluff, a blatantly commercial piece. And really, I did it just to experiment with the monkey's facial expressions. He's a rare character of mine in that he's not inherently grumpy or dour (see: Lucco, Guz, Tamino, Harlon, Ricci, et. al.). He'd fit in with Crawford well enough but might even be TOO friendly and happy for the crow. Dunno. Cromwell would like him well enough. I should definitely have a break from the, shall we say, 'less happy' stuff and do something a little more enjoyable and, likely, more commercial. I'm getting to the point where if I don't make some kind of money from my work, it will be too late. And it's fun. I know I'm doing this whole thing backwards, having started off making far more abstract art, heavy, metaphorical comics and am now aiming at something more shallow, bright and colorful but there you are. There are likely even some who are disappointed that I am moving away from the 'less difficult.' There's no saying I won't go back to it. For right now, this stuff is fun. And that's really all there is to it.

5 comments:

Behemoth media said...

just doing aha thou want is always the most satisfying. I' had been making money off my work as you know but it's almost completely dried up.. so much I really have to decide if I'm just finished in my field.. plus I'm a little too old to find another field at this point so it's doubly scary!

T' said...

Perhaps it's just a dry spell, Vince. At least I hope that's all it is. I've been in retail all my life and really am tired of it. I might be doomed to stay here, but I have to try and get out. And I might find that drawing for someone else, especially a big corporation isn't what I want at all. There's no way to know without trying. I wish the best for you.

Behemoth media said...

well we keep pushing on no matter what. My dry spell has really been the last few years, getting worse and worse. I could suddenly get a call from PBS today for a big project, but it seems unlikely at this point.

T' said...

Really sorry to hear it, Vince. Wish I had some kind of answer for you. I really do.

Behemoth media said...

I wish I had a comic book job for you! For me the important thing is to just keep doing my work and luckily most things we do in that regard are basically free. Except for the video stuff but I manage to do that low cost as well.