Thursday, December 12, 2013

Here's the re-draw of page two. I altered the angle a LOT from the original, deciding to go worm's eye instead of straight on. That's one thing lacking in my work, a change of angle and it's a weakness. Took photos of me for ref, though this is all freehand. I wish I could skip a step, but to get that organic feel to the lineless Illustrator image, I need to do a pencil and ink drawing then drop out the lines as a last step. Which is fine as it means I get a nifty inked drawing out of the deal. For this, though, I really like the plain color version and think it works best for the story. Why am I redrawing a story? Can't I leave well enough alone? Well, no, I can't. Why? I'm the only one I know that actually -liked- "Sound and Fury," which is reason enough to leave it alone. Thing is, I never felt like I really gave it my best shot. Now that I've found the right way to approach it, I'm going to finish it. Too bad. I can be buried with it, doesn't matter to me. It's something I feel strongly about, so I'll keep going. Besides, it's only five pages long...

4 comments:

Behemoth media said...

even if this never gets completely redrawn, this image in particular stands on it's own as a great image. You can easily imagine a story behind it

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. This is a tough one as the only person I know who liked the story at all was me. And some folks have been giving me (well deserved) crap about redoing old stuff. Sometimes, though, I really think I tackle something before I'm really ready for it. This was the case. Because some of what I've been looking at lately is more dynamic comic work that really changes up the viewing angle, something I don't generally do at all. And this, to me, is a lot more interesting than the original. But I didn't think about that then.

Behemoth media said...

in the end it's your work and your choice to do what you wish with it. Even if they didn't like the story, the art is fantastic and these new pieces really are more advanced in terms of look/feel/technique. so go for it... it really is all about you! :) It's not like you don't constantly try new projects as well.

T' said...

You are, as always most kind, Vince. Thanks!