Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Another experiment, though it wasn't meant to be. Started out doing a re-draw of the first page of, "Sound and Fury" in the usual way; with a pencil drawing that I inked and brought into Illustrator. As is getting to be more common, once I'd colored the image, I turned off the line work layer and decided that I liked the drawing better without the black. I wish I could skip a step when getting to something like this, but it seems I still have to go through the whole inking process to get to this kind of thing. Good, short little experiment, this as it's only a five page story. Also, used photo ref (of me) taken at a different angle as I really need to get away from the frozen staging of golden age cartoons.

5 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I do like the no line look when you use it. the head in the hand has real weight.

T' said...

Thanks, as usual! :"D Using photo ref really helped with things like the weight in this case. There's always subtle things I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Behemoth media said...

I am all for using photo references, I don't understand why some people think they are so wrong. I had a secondary school art teacher who straight out said they were "cheating" somehow even those artists starting using them the second after photography was invented!

T' said...

I don't get the problem with photo ref, either. Some of the greatest did it and really, whatever it takes to get the image made should be fair game. What's the point in imagining something wrong when the 'proper' answer is just a click away? Those little details we can't remember are what adds sincerity to a piece.

Behemoth media said...

It really is about getting the image you want in the end.

The funny thing to me was the teacher who told me that was into abstract art and never really drew anything representative herself. So it was easy enough for her to not use reference materials. Its not like we all have muses sitting around all day to sketch from at our every whim! (I wish!).