Thursday, August 20, 2015

Did this today sort of in response to having re-watched an excellent documentary on Al Hirschfeld. While I'm not a lifelong fan of his, I suddenly became interested a couple of years ago and, being someone else who really appreciates lines it seems a natural connection. Something I used to do with my work, a long while ago, was to look for ways to connect lines all over the piece, to bend anatomy so that these lines and angles converged. It eventually led me to cubism or something like that and I moved away from it. Today, I reconnected with that and, yet again, reworked this image. Why do I keep doing this? Since I've recently realized that no one but me is going to be reading Ghiroy (except, perhaps for you, Vince!) it really doesn't matter what I do with it. No one's waiting for it or interested in it. So I might as well make it something I truly like or even, perhaps love. So, this. There's a fluidity to this that I like. I don't want to riff off Hirschfeld, but I can be inspired by him. And so I was.

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

I am sorry you have been little down on yourself, on the plus side you have been doing some cool stuff. the shoe is very well done and a great idea and Ghiroy looks great too so you are not slacking off in any way with your art despite it all. I haven't had time to do anything I consider all that creative almost all summer... one drawing. Editing the film is more work than fun for me even though I like editing and my 3d stuff is ALL technical crap preparing to get to the actual creative part. Still haven't been able to try out the pen nib you gave me or even read "les mains d'Orloc" on my iPad!