Thursday, August 20, 2015

This was something I've been thinking of doing for a few days. It's a self portrait. I was feeling down, not very special and, honestly, a lot like this old sneaker I've only just replaced. But there's also something really comforting about an old pair of sneakers. They fit exceedingly well, I've had them for a long time and been a lot of places in them. They're 5-6 years old, have climbed Palatine Hill, wandered about Venice, Vienna, Budapest, Boston, Michigan, transitioned me from one job to another. At home or work, winter or summer, these are my shoes. They've had their laces sewn into the knot because they used to come untied multiple times a day. I slip in and out of them with ease but they never fall off. I'm going to miss them if I ever throw them away. The more I think about it, the more they really do represent me. I only drew one as I wanted a feeling of being incomplete about the image. Maybe I'm thinking too much about this. Or not enough. Pen and ink.

No comments: