Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Working on another print for this winter. I took the photo I'm using as reference about two years ago in winter as I walked from Central to Harvard Square on my way to meet friends for dinner. It was damned cold and the street was fairly empty. I just meant the photo as reference for City Silent or something like it. I was really taken by the solitude of it later on and thought it would make a good addition to the print series. Then I tried to work on it but could never really get a handle. I tried to eyeball it but kept having trouble, even using a grid. So it got set aside and nothing happened. Now that I have the iPad and Apple Pencil, I have a much easier way to get the details down; tracing. Generally, I don't like doing this because it seems like cheating and, in a way, it is. I thought about it a lot, came across a lot of other examples of tracing in art from fine art to animation and no one batted an eye in any of those cases (well, in the case of fine art, people got pissed at David Hockney's suggestion that artist would have to resort to such things). And as I thought about it, I realized that I wasn't going to do an 'every square inch lovingly traced down to the last molecule' kind of thing. What I really wanted was a suggestion for details so that I could build the background slowly in Designer like I did for the Tokyo print. That one had no tracing, except for the cobblestones and, in some places, it's a mess. Thing is, even with a tracing, I'm going to be constantly interpreting, changing and making the image my own. And so I got over it. And I'm moving on with the project, which is better.

No comments: