Monday, September 10, 2018

Ghiroy page 31. Been more in the mind to work on this comic lately than City Silent. Worked a little extra long on the background for this one as I thought it important to establish the setting. Also, while I like the style of the older pages, it was getting a little claustrophobic. This will push me to do a little more with the backgrounds in the future, I think. The city is based on San Gimignano, which I visited in 2012. Italy has all these wonderful old walled towns that are still alive and vital. Their architecture hasn't changed in 2,000 years because I guess the Italians got it right the first time. Usually, D+D tends towards western Europe for its towns and castles, but I really like the Italian aesthetic here. It's different than the usual turdor. Was especially happy with the Francesca in this one.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I LOVE the perspective in this! Wha a great idea to go for a look like the city you visited, i think it gives it a unique feel.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince! The only downside to this image, for me is that, against a white background, it's kind of dark. Against black, which is how I drew it and how it appears on places like flickr, I think it looks good. I'll likely use a lot of my Italy vacation photos to do the city interiors.