Friday, February 22, 2019

Screwing around with nothing. I haven't touched real paint in a very long time. There were some unused canvas boards in the closet and I got an itch. The pencil sketch wasn't even preparation for this, it was just sort of the catalyst. I just had a want to feel paint again. Because of this, the first layer of the painting (red background) was done just with my fingers. Subsequent layers were done with brushes that shrunk in size though I tried to keep from getting too detailed, wanting to retain that rough texture and feel. This is a lot like how I was painting 20 years ago. There's no pretense of this being anything worthwhile, I just wanted to paint. And I don't hate it. It's fine. I then decided to try and replicate this whole thing on the iPad. I will say it's a lot quicker process. It also yields different results though equally satisfactory. There is still something luminous about the paint that I can't get from the iPad, but there's a cohesion I don't quite get from the paint, either. A waste of time in one sense but a nice diversion in another.

No comments: