Saturday, February 23, 2019

Was thinking about or looking at some Franz Kline and missing playing with real paint. Decided to take the iPad in hand and play about somewhere near his sandbox. I think I'm too representational for real abstraction (number 3 anyone?) but I could easily see making some big work with paint like this. It's really down to the joy of making marks, of paint. Trying to paint something utterly non-representational is harder than people think. Every time I've tried, there's usually at least one kind of obvious suggested subject. Even if I wasn't thinking of anything, there it is. One of my earliest abstracts, maybe my first still hangs on my wall. I remember bringing it along to a furry convention of all things and someone there offered to buy it. Didn't want to sell it. Still don't. I had "Pollock" on in the background and had just finished some other representational work and suddenly wanted to do SOMEthing else. I did that. Just fingers. Still like it. These are all about texture. Maybe if I do more, I'll work more on subject or lack thereof. Til then, there's these.

No comments: