Thursday, August 27, 2020




And now for something completely different. I've been thinking about finally selling some of my old Japanese toys. As much as I love them for their design and fun, they're mostly sitting in a cabinet where I can't even see them. This tells me that it's time that they went to someone else. They also might be able to fund other things, possibly other toys. I made a quick and dirty set-up for this: just a piece of bent drawing board and the lights I used for my old Movie Wrench episodes. What amazed me was how close I could get with my phone and get not only some really good focus but, in some cases, some good bokeh as well. Now all I have to do is work up the courage to actually offer them up for sale.

 

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

These are so fun! I have NO IDEA where any of them are from - but fun photos and toys! I have been thinking for years I should sell my vinyl los, many of which are obscure... maybe too obscure picture disks etc. I have a couple rare books about death (I know you are shocked) that seem to be worth something but I am terrified of selling thing on e-bay. I tried to buy a I used mac tower many years ago and almost lost my house. I mostly sell through Craigslist to local people only with cash.

T' said...

Most of the toys of the 'series' come from totally different and unrelated Japanese cartoons. They figured no one would know the difference and they were right until the Boston Japanimation Society turned up! Vinyl is huge these days, which I don't understand. We're opposite here: I wouldn't want to sell anything on Craig's list because then I'd have to MEET weirdos face to face. Ebay, at least means just the mail system. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Some things I never would buy there: used electronics, computers, phones. There's just too much that could go wrong. Toys and even sometimes clothes I do. Books.

Behemoth media said...

I have pretty rare vinyl and so obscure no one will want it! Even stuff I thought would be worth something, like the original Dark Shadows soundtrack with the poster is only about 25$. I need to find the time to photograph and catalogue it all. The two death books are maybe 2-300$ together according to Ebay but i have my doubts. In the end I'll take what I can get and streamline my possessions a bit and have some money to pay bills. I always feel bad the people have to meet a weirdo like me!