Thursday, September 16, 2021


 Things haven't been so great lately. Work shifts have been longer meaning I don't have time to do much in the morning and I get home and I'm worn out. I haven't been doing my exercises, haven't been playing my ukulele or really drawing anything. The comic has been gathering dust and it's a page away from having its latest track done. Honestly, I'm utterly done with retail. I feel like I'm wasting my life. But what's a guy to do when those are the only skills he has to offer to make a living? Today, a day off in the middle of four days of long crap, felt closed in and exhausting. But in the end, I really just WANTED to get back to this, to draw something, to move forward. And I did. The ref photos are taken for the top half of the page and the first drawing is made and inked. So, it looks like nothing perhaps but it's movement. And for that, I'm happy.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

As you well know I hated retail and can’t imagine how you do it. Creating certainly helps, but man, retail is a tough haul every day. I don’t know how they get away with not giving you combat pay. You aren’t doing shop work because you lack talent in many other areas. You have more going for you talent-wise than almost anyone else. I found I had to invent jobs to keep out of dealing with the public with limited success. So many people think it must be fun to work with the public…. Have they ever met the public?

T' said...

I don't know how I do it either. Most of my customers are actually really nice people. It's the BEING there and the store politics that wear me the fuck out. I don't know that I have any talent; I have some skill but so do thousands of others. The public is stupid. It's SO nice when I meet people that know what they're doing. It makes me try harder when I'm the customer. Anyway, thanks for reading and reacting. I hope I can draw more soon.

Behemoth media said...

You have plenty of talent, I wish I had the talent and skill you have! Ypu actually do stuff with it which is the rare thing. You also don't sit on your ass but branch out to try new things and see how they go. I tried to get out of retail and move into an "office job" for years but because of y retail experience that was all I was ever offered or considered for. My dream job is to just work part time in some basement doing something that doesn't involve much contact with customer of internal politics. I REALLY tried to get a position scanning and retouching archival images at McGill, literally in a basement "office"but that post was given to someone's family member. That would have been an ideal way for me to make food money and not stress out!