Friday, December 31, 2021


 This is my personal best of '21. I was pretty happy with the number of entries here this year and, in general the amount of work until I realized I only completed one song for "The City Silent" this year. That means I have 20 to go and, at that rate, it'll take me 20 years. Gah. I was hoping more for three. Well, my mind wanders and I get interested in portraiture, I get lazy, work makes me tired, etc. Excuses. That being said, I really liked how Smatt's Crew's song came out. I have hopes for Digby's as well. And, in general, I think this year's portraits are better than those that came before.

I have pretty much fully embraced digital art making. There's not a single, 'real media' image in the bunch. That being said, I think everyone one of these started as a pencil sketch. I'm learning to play more to my strengths, and pencil is one of those. For some reason, sketching on the iPad doesn't yield the same results, so I'll try and remember that, making it a sure part of my process. In the portraits of Greyson Perry, lower right, I manage to mix pencil, vector and a flourish of Procreate. The center self portrait I did three times until I got something that worked.

All in all, a good year except for quantity. Here's hoping I can continue to grow in '22 and make things that I like. Can't really concentrate on other people liking it or I'll never get anything done. 

2 comments:

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

I was thinking i should put together all my images of the last year becuase there were so many. maybe I will.Yu did a TON of good work last year! I think some of the ideas in your head really gelled .

T' said...

Thanks. I think I made some progress. There wasn't as much actual work as I'd hoped but what I did was better than my average. And you should at least go through your stuff; you had a very productive year and made some leaps yourself!