Wednesday, October 09, 2024


 It's been a long time, too long. This happens every so often. I find I just have no drive for the comic or even art at all. It can be hard to push ahead knowing that it's really just for me. Eventually, I find the energy, drive or whatever to move on. Or I find a direction. And I think I finally did for the next track. Silas is starting to feel good about his art, about the images he's making for himself without interference from the muse, the spirit of the city. While no one else has said so, he's enjoying his moment, gaining confidence. So I took some reference photos from the 'Gotta Dance' section of "Singin' in the Rain," because really, who danced better than Gene Kelly? That section, too has some great visuals even if they don't match the rest of the movie at all. Can't deny that there's been some lifelong influence from there. So between that, a little bit from the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" part of "Yellow Submarine," I think this is going to be a much more dance-y, arty section of the comic. I want it to be more colorful, too, as if Silas is expanding his palette, his experience, opening up, whatever. So I'll try and keep the figures loose, painterly if I can. This is just a test, though the figure will likely be used in the actual comic.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Who danced better than Gene Kelley? Fred Astaire! Dance fight!!! You really captured that pose! The hands look great. My only critique would be to add some shadow under the beak as right now the beak look like a face to me. My attention is drawn to the lower beak looking like eyes, sort of an optical illusion. To my eyes anyway!

T' said...

I think it's the neck lines and they could easily be removed. Thanks!

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

That would work!