Friday, February 07, 2014

This is a sort of chart following the five year development of this character. Sharp started out as 'Tuff Bunny,' a very abstract doodle-ish thing in odd colors. He was developed through a pretty solid design, though still purple before he was pretty much abandoned. He was no one's favorite. Later, I started drawing what would become Sharp,wearing the same ill-fitting breatplate though obviously a very different approach was taken with the character. From there, it's been an on again off again approach and retreat from cartooniness and/or realism(ish). What finally comes, at the lower right is a more dynamic approach that has some of the best of both, I think. There are times when I ventured off into the realms of Tezuka and Herge. Didn't last long. I think I've made the right decisions and I don't regret what it took to get here. When I started, I don't think I was good enough to draw him the way he needed to be drawn. Now, I think I am. So... this.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

This would make a great poster... it's a grew portfolio piece as well as it shows just how versatile you can be with the same subject.

T' said...

Thank you, sir. I like to think there are a couple of versions that might make people wonder if the same person drew them all. And still I'm not varied enough!

Behemoth media said...

Varied enough for what? That's pretty damned varied!