Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Did another one of these. Learned to work a little smarter by using more layers (something everyone else does but I've been too stupid to do). I'm a butthead and generally only use one or two. But the Yiynova is something I'm getting a better handle on. Wanted to keep this really flowing and organic, which I did. Minimal editing. If I can figure out how to make the pencil tool auto-close the shapes I'm making, it'll all be cool.

Smatt and Terry are an example of me mining my old stuff and making something out of nothing. The twins were in one panel of Tamino, didn't even have a line of dialogue. They were just two skater mice in a lousy neighborhood. Then I used them in the C+C origin comic where they spoke only in graffiti. There's some background with them, too; they're from a much larger family and all the members look the same. If I were to do some kind of comic with them, it would kind of be a race of clones. It's only their personalities that differ. Smatt's the angry one, Terry's more laid back, but neither of them is very nice. Anyway. -I- like them. I might be alone in that.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I had an art teacher in high school who was hung up on what was "cheating" in art. Even though computer art wasn't around then, every layer, or tracing, or texture brush makes me think I'm cheating somehow. She was really down on photo references... her art was all abstract so it was easy for her to think that! As time went on I started to realize if I was going to work digitally not using however many layers I need was just bad practice not more like doing "real" art. It's weird since everything I learned after her said the opposite but I guess I had her during a formative time in my artistic life. It took a long time but I finally realized I wasn't doing better art by making it harder on myself. It's not like I don't spend weeks on my projects anyway!

T' said...

Yah, teachers have their own rules and sometimes apply them to students which sucks. I had one teacher tell me never to use black paint for anything. And another said never to use colors straight from the tube. A lot of poop if you ask me. There's no wrong way to make art. There are some easier ways, more efficient ways, but if you get results, doesn't matter how it was made.

Behemoth media said...

She was right,you should have brushes from your own hair and mixed spit with dirt and berries for paint! I hope you at least made your own paper (by cutting down the trees first of course)!