Saturday, July 25, 2015

As work on the story progresses, things change. Since the world that Crow and Francesca are on is not their native one, I thought about having the flora and fauna as odd and alien as possible. To that end, though I've got elves and such, it occurred to me that changing their colors from the obvious palette might make them feel a bit more alien. And so they do. Mikilo is now violet in color which not only really makes him stand out from the other two (perhaps too much) but the green sky and deep orange sun help make everyone else stand out, too. I will be making the foliage in colors other than green and brown. The world is supposed to suggest faerie but again, an alien one. So here's a step, even if a small one.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

It never occurred to me they were not in their native world, that opens a lot more story possibilities! You will have to find ways to introduce to the world they are in and how it differs from their own (and ours) without getting bogged down in the details.

T' said...

There's no reason you should have previously thought about an alien world. That's all in the written background stuff. The color palette and design of the flora will be part of what shows the reader but yes, I don't really want to do the whole "And once upon a time there was a planet with blah blah and a noble race went scooby do and fiddly wah." I hate that kind of thing. On the other hand, I don't want readers confused or turned off. Tough balance.