Friday, November 13, 2015

Snuck in another page yesterday. Didn't do it as a live stream as I wasn't planning on getting to draw and didn't want to overcomplicate things. That being said, it went just fine. Today, I decided to ink the pencils just because it's been a long time since I inked anything and I miss my ink. That being said, there's things to be said for either approach though I'm glad I went with the direction I did. One thing likely lost here is that the caption at the bottom actually applies to Smatt, not the unseen characters. The point of the bottom captions, originally, was to translate the graffiti-speak because my partner (and likely others) couldn't read it. Then it became a way of interjecting some humor as well, as the captions obviously were sort of the 'polite company' version of what was being said. Now they're translating for things that Smatt simply can't say or express, and that's the point of the comic. A lot of men in American society are still made to expect that showing emotion other than excitement or anger simply isn't 'manly.' As such, they can be somewhat broken inside, unable to express what they feel without worrying about showing weakness. Smatt is very much like this and, to some extent, so am I. What was a little throwaway comic has become something of an expression of my feelings of loss over my mom two years ago. So there you go. We all deal in our own ways.

4 comments:

AJ said...

Big hugs buddy.

T' said...

You too, sir!

Behemoth media said...

it may not be the most common way of dealing with it, but you are dealing with it. there is a lot to be said for that!

T' said...

I've dealt with it in very small amounts over time. Too big to face at once.