Monday, April 03, 2017

I can't say that Paul Pope has influenced my art, though I really admire his painterly way of inking. That being said, I remember reading this whole comic at the end of my shift at the Picnic. There were few customers and I was able to get through the whole thing fairly quickly. Initially, I put it back on the shelf (in the Adult Section) but I couldn't stop thinking about it. Eventually, I bought it and I still have it. It's a somber tale and I don't remember it having much of an ending, which was just fine. THAT, I think might have influenced me. Anyway, a quick thought between bouts of Zelda and working on Silas lyrics.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

You made we wonder what my influences were. I really never thought much about it. I did't read comics much but when I did, Gene Colan and Bernie Wrightson were my favourites. But I was drawing long before that and I think I was heavily influenced by scientific illustrations and wood carving prints - what a weird childhood, I know!

T' said...

I loved Colon's thick, heavy fabric, especially on Dr. Strange. His work was so smokey, fluid. Wrightson was a whole other thing. Pity he just passed away. Amazing detail. Were you ever into Durer?

Behemoth media said...

Thanks for the name! I must have seen his work many times but never looked him up! I love his stuff! Colon's work must have been a nightmare to ink, the sketches were so gaseous. Beautiful stuff.