Monday, June 04, 2018

I've been feeling dissatisfied with the look of Ghiroy. Poking back into the comic, I kept settling on the opening image, the 'cover,' more or less. It's the only image where the characters are drawn that way and I don't know why that is. They seem the most cartoony here, the most solid and the most fun. Since then, the characters have slowly slipped into something more 'realistic,' more defined and complex. This isn't what I want or the feeling I thought should be expressed. So I went back and did some model/design work on the characters then did this page. Francesca doesn't look so different yet, but Mikilo does. I really should have done model sheets before this to really tie down the style. Well, from here forward, I will try and keep some consistency. Page 23.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I don't know exactly why, but this comic and Silent City have very deep looking images, not sure I can pin down what I mean, but there is a certain 3D quality to them and a use of colour that stands out form your earlier suff.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince! I think, this time around, I actually used color well for this comic. Otherwise, it's just been a jumble, trying to color each character depending on their mood. In this case, the dark red really recedes and the blue comes forward. I need to do more of that. It's a lesson learned. City Silent doesn't have the same depth to me, but it's something to think about. I really appreciate your looking, reading and commenting!

Behemoth media said...

Silent City does to me, I think they both have that in common - if not much else!