Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Been binge-watching a British show called "Portrait Artist of the Year," which is a tv show made especially for me. Don't know how I've not heard of this but then again, British TV has done this before and they don't make their shows available outside the UK on any format which is maddening to say the least. Each week, they take 9-21 (depending on the season) portrait artists, split them between three different sitters and have them paint portraits in four hours which is a reasonable amount of time to get something pretty damned good. And this isn't amateur trash, this is real stuff. The winner gets a 10k commission for a portrait of someone famous that will be hung in a permanent collection in a major institution, like the Scottish Portrait Gallery. So yah, my head's been back in portraits, which I do love. This is my buddy the Weezil, who I've painted before but whom I've never really managed to capture all that well. This one is a good step closer. I was also smart enough to make it big enough to print out. The Weez, who didn't know I'd snapped the photo awhile back when we were out at karaoke, was happy with it, which makes it all the better.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I really love the weezil portrait, the self portrait is great but doesn't look like you, to me anyway. Maybe it needs a wig... :)
My back has been out for 4 days now so I am mostly housebound, meaning i have been watching all the new tutorials for the updated affinity stuff. Check them out, i learned both designer and photo do some things i though i was missing from photoshop and illustrator, but they just have different names etc.

T' said...

I agree that the likeness is off on the self portrait. That being said, I'm glad I did it and reclaimed a style I'd forgotten. Sorry to hear your back is out. Hope it's all better before Barcelona.

Behemoth media said...

Its still a good drawing, the beard i like a lot and the eyes really grab you.