Tuesday, June 18, 2019

There are some books I own that I've forgotten because I can't easily get to them. And there are some books that have had a huge influence on me. This one is both of those things. I can't remember where I got this; some used book store somewhere. It's almost entirely black and white, dates from 1949 but has some amazing art in it. The sense of layout and design feels like what we think of as being 1950s but this is the end of the 40s which means it's not experimental; it's already accepted and worked through. The influence from fine art is obvious but so is cartooning and back and forth and back again. I have no idea if they still make these things or even if they're worth looking at. This one is all I need as it speaks to me. It's that movie that's nearly perfect and doesn't need a sequel. Then again, I might be missing out on all sorts of stuff. For now, this is it.

No comments: