Friday, June 28, 2019

The earlier selfie was a decent image but didn't look that much like me, just as Vince said. :"D I decided to rework it. While I used the same photo for reference, in the first version, I used a quick trick which usually helps me get a likeness; I take 30 seconds to very roughly outline the head and make notches where the eyes, nose and mouth are. I then complete the image freehand. For some reason, it didn't work so well. This time, I did the entire thing freehand and I got a better likeness, which is weird. Maybe I should trust my eye more than I do. I then purposefully distorted the image to emphasize the expression. I think it -just- borders on caricature but not so much that it would dismiss the image. Having recently had a print made at 16x20 of the Weezil's portrait, I can say that this is a very viable workflow. The giclee prints look great, organic and even a bit like paint.

I also recently finished watching all of the "Portrait Artist of the Year" shows and am already missing seeing all those folks paint. What a great and inspiring show. I only wish the British channel that made them, Sky, would actually SELL them so people like myself might get a better chance of catching them.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I think it can be very helpful to go back and rework something. A couple years ago i redrew a mansion i had drawn as a gift for my cousin and while i thought the original which was a 3x4 foot drawing board had been tossed at some point, but it hadn't so i was able to see the differences between my ink and digital styles. I am still hoping i can sketch when away next week!

T' said...

I think, if I'm totally blunt, I warped this one a little too far but I like the result so much better than the last one. I gotta say, that show I mention, Portrait Artist of the Year is really messing with my head in a good way. It's a British Sky TV thing, so don't know if you get it in Canada. If you're interested, I'll throw episodes into Dropbox and give you a link. Good luck on your vacation!

Behemoth media said...

Send me one tou think it good and i will check it out! I havent seen it here, we do get a lot of british tv since we are all part of the commonwealth but it mostly the period dramas lately.

I will need some luck, i have a sinus thing going on and the plane flight could be really bad.... worse than normal for me. This morning its better so we see how it goes!