Thursday, December 12, 2019

Another one in this Shin Hanga sorta kinda style. These were prints made in the early part of the 20th century and show a distinct influence from western art. There was more detail, images were more representational and there were, sometimes, uses of shadow and highlight to further develop an idea of form usually missing from Japanese prints. For me, it's the balancing act of minimalism that seems most interesting, deciding what details should be present and how many I can get rid of without hurting likeness. For example, there were originally highlights on the glasses which I took out. When I looked at some actual prints for reference, those details stood out as unnecessary, visual clutter. While I might want to add shadow, I don't because it doesn't really add to the design and here, I get the feeling that the design, the image is more important than is reality. Or so I pretend. Anyway, a fun exercise.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Maybe because it's you in the image and I know oyu but i think this is the best one so far. It has more detail, especially in the eyes and has an energy to it .

T' said...

Thanks, Vince! I actually did an edit after I initially posted it, toning down the color of the lines in the skin and removing some wrinkles that were just mucking up the image.

Behemoth media said...

Like a lot of styles, you end end putting more of yourself into it as time goes on. I am jsut trying to get everyday things done these days but nI would rather be back at work on my animation projects etc. I am writing a short sci-fi story and on my morning walk I might have come up with an idea for a graphic novel based on a radio play/podcast idea I wanted to do years ago that no one would take seriously.