Monday, December 09, 2019

Second in a series? Tried to look a little more at the 'Shin Hanga' format, figure out where I might play with its rules a little. Since I'm neither Japanese nor a woodblock print maker, I figure there's no reason not to experiment. In this case, I thought to do Van Gogh. While he made a lot of self portraits, I decided to look for photos instead. As it turns out, there's only one, taken when he was likely a teenager. Using that as a base, I adapted the color palette from one of his later self portrait paintings. I think that Shin Hanga didn't always have black lines as the color on their key block but I don't know that they went so far afield. I'll have to look into it. While I sampled colors at the start, I don't think any of them stayed the ones I took from Van Gogh as there needed to be more of a balance. I think it's pretty successful and I could totally see doing a series of these. We'll see. I seem to be allergic to prolonged bouts of style.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

You are on a roll! This is an interesting series to play with. Procreate 5 came out today with a lot of new brushes etc and I am curious to see if you get inspired by the new features!

T' said...

I saw the new Procreate and haven't had a chance to do anything with it. I taught a class in it at the store tonight, which is always fun. I saw a few minor differences in the interface but nothing leapt out. That being said, the drawing for this was made in Procreate. I love that program, but it was nice to get back to AD, too. We'll see how long I go with this. Done a LOT of portraits this year...

Behemoth media said...

I have been all over the place with y drawing tools this year. Did stuff in Procreate, Sketchbook, Photo and Designer. NOTHING on paper so far which is disappointing.