Saturday, December 14, 2019

This one was more of a struggle, though I don't think that shows in the final version really at all. This is a portrait of John Ruskin, a major figure in the British architecture gig. I was watching an episode of "Landscape Artist of the Year," and saw an image of him flash by. I liked his look enough to do a search, find a photo and do this. The likeness was a bitch, at least in the penciling part of it. Strangely, it really came together in AD. Part of me wants to make real paintings of these, or one in this style. Another part of me wonders if I only want to do that to appease the art world which is still not ready to accept digital art as anything real.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Might have been a bear to do, but it looks even more refined than the last one. The eyes are what stand out for me. The lines are very technical pen looking all one width which is likely what this style wants but have you tried using the pressure setting in AD? I use them when I want a more natural looking pen stroke and I think maybe the hair might benefit from some variety in the stroke width. Just a a thought.

T' said...

The style I'm pulling from doesn't account for line variance. Usually, I would, and I do have a lot of brushes in AD now. I briefly thought of using some of them, but this approach seems to do best when using a very clean line. Haven't used technical pens since the 80s and then, was told by a comics pro to.... try a brush for line variance! In this case, for these, I'll keep with what I have. But I'll likely soon go back to the other stuff.

Behemoth media said...

yeah if you stray too far, it's not that style anymore and I am one who likes to work within restrictions. You seem to be doing alot with it though!