Thursday, December 10, 2020


 More in this series. This time, it's a UK artist, Paul Bell, someone I saw on an episode of a show called, "The Big Painting Challenge." There was a moment that had an image I liked, I made a screen shot and went ahead. I don't think it's the best representation of the subject, but I only have what I can work with. What I'd want to do is take video of a subject as we just talked, preferably without their knowing or paying attention. I'd want to get what I thought was them in a pose that wasn't a pose; it was just them at their most them. When I choose screenshots like this, I really don't know the person, don't know if the pose is indicative or not. I just like it. So while I think I made a good representation of the pose, I don't know if I did of the person.

This one was a good struggle of editing. I think there might be a little too much detail, but pulling any more out lessened the likeness too much. There was a lot of going back and forth but in a good way. I set this one aside for a few days, thinking it hadn't worked. When I opened it back up today, I actually really liked it. I think this approach has merit, and feels the most like the "modern portrait" I've been looking for.

Now I should get back to drawing skate mice and graffiti taggers.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Never too much detail! LOL This looks good and i have some of the same issues when I agree to draw someone's pet for them. If I haven't met the animal and taken the photos myself, I don't feel like I have a good idea on how to portray the personality. The people who get the drawing seem to like them but they lack life or something to me that would have been there if I had had some contact with the subject.

T' said...

Taking screenshots is a way of getting something un-posed but you're still limited to that moment, and if you don't get what that person is actually like, you have to make do. Having seen more images of this artist later on, I don't think I caught -him- but I like the painting. Done a lot of that lately. Need to do more with the likeness. Thanks!