Thursday, December 03, 2020



 Did a little playing about with a Hals painting, trying to get it into my current 'style.' I used a grid and sketched by hand then did the usual painting. I think that I let myself use too many colors and don't think this is totally successful. I don't hate it but I don't think it's as good as others done in this manner. Might be that it's better suited to current portraits and not so much as adapting paintings because there's often so much in the brushstrokes and way in which paint is used. This flat method has its own charms, it's just not the answer to everything. I'll likely keep picking at this, like a persistent scab until I feel I got something I actually like. For now, this is it.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I like this one, not sure why but it's intriguing looking ot me. it retains alot of the original but I guess presents it in a totally different way. It may not work the way you thought but it work for me! I likethe colour palette as well!

T' said...

I liked it better the day after. Still don't think it's my best but I do like the colors. Thanks, Vince!