Sunday, August 15, 2021







It's a morning of character and style design. Digby, my fox character who was supposed to be in a comic that never happened is going to be the lead on the next track. He might have a partner, I haven't decided yet. The style of "The City Silent" changes because I change and have a real problem with consistency. I get bored and, I hope, I improve. So it means that, over the length of this "graphic novel," things will not look the same at the end as they did in the beginning. The thing is, how far can I push that? I did some quick sketches in pencil, took a photo in Procreate and inked as usual. This is the top image. Then, after vectorization, I did some coloring in AD. That's the second. I played around with the palette, starting with a more or less "realistic" version in the upper right, changing to something utterly off-key next, trying some bright versions of the "realistic" and finally just greyscale. Of the four, I like blue/purple and the greyscale versions the best. Then I tried another inking style, which is the fourth image. (I actually tried a few different brushes but didn't like any of them.) Fifth image has me scanning the original pencil, vectorizing that and using that as an "inked line." While I like the effect, I don't think it works for this comic. Next, the inevitable lineless version which, sadly, I like a lot. Finally, I decided to take a random city photo I'd taken, throw that into the vectorizer and place it below the lineless images. Now the greyscale really stands out. Again, will the comic withstand such a dramatic shift in style? Probably not but the inked version is just starting to look 'old' to me. Well, that's how it goes. I'll keep pushing to see where I can go.
 

No comments: