Sunday, October 24, 2021



 Another try. I'd left the shadows out of the first one which did change the mood quite a lot. It fit better with the style I was working with, but not with the subject, at least when it comes to the more melancholy images Rembrandt made of himself. While I liked my drawing, it wasn't "accurate," which I decided to work on for this version. Using a grid, I made my sketch from a gridded, zoomed-in version of the original painting with a similar cropping to the one I did. Once I got the sketch done, I worked it the way I'd done the other; making a new layer for each color then exporting them to the Mac. Once there, each is vectorized and reassembled in AD. I liked the palette of the previous one, so just used that. The final stages always take the least amount of time as, if I've done everything right, it's just a few clicks. There's a lot more emotion in this one and it's much more representational of the original. I still think I'd use a more simplified style for doing a portrait of an actual sitter.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

On of the the best things about art is there is no "right" way to do anything. It's also one of the worst things, of course because it's really hard to narrow down a project to one thing or in some cases, several things!

T' said...

I totally agree.